Safety of Journalists > Press Room > News > Three Journalists Killed by Mob in Guinea

Africa

Three Journalists Killed by Mob in Guinea

19 September 2014

Officials in Guinea have said that three journalists were killed along with three health workers during a mob attack near Nzerekore, a city near Guinea’s southern tip, media reports said. The group of doctors and journalists was in the Ebola-stricken area to raise awareness about the virus which has claimed over 2600 lives in the region. They had been missing since Tuesday but officials said they discovered their bodies in the septic tank of a primary school in the village on Thursday 18 September.

The Government spokesman Damantang Albert Camara told Reuters that the workers and journalists were brutally beaten to death. "“The eight bodies were found in the village latrine. Three of them had their throats slit,” he said.

Correspondents say that say many people in the region distrust health officials and have refused to co-operate with authorities, fearing that a diagnosis means certain death.

Sources: BBC/RT